12/4/08

Anna

Within iXpress the creative process relies heavily on communication between the facilitator and the artist. As facilitators we want our artists to express to us in any means they can what their vision is so that we can help them to achieve that goal.

We work with a number of people who use alternative communication methods including Dynavox machines, sign language, alternative sign language and symbol books. Knowing our iXpress artists is the best way to learn what they're trying to say but sometimes we need to ask our talented speech therapists to help out. Recently, I sent a list of questions to the Speech department and asked if they would help work on these questions with some of our iXpress artists. Anna was the first one to complete the questions with speech therapist Martha. Anna has a Dynavox on her motorized wheelchair but she prefers her Bliss symbol book. The process of communication is slow but always worth it when we have a really meaningful conversation about her art.

Anna and I work as a team on her art from coming up with the idea to applying the paint to canvas. Anna uses a universal cuff to help her hold the paintbrush, it's like an elastic band that wraps around four fingers of the hand. This helps Anna work because she doesn't have to strain to hold onto the brush. When she works I am also there for additional physical support to help her raise her arm and move around the canvas. Currently, we are looking into more advanced adaptive equipment for Anna and artists like her so she can work more independently.




So, thanks to Martha for going the extra mile so we could all learn a little more about Anna. Here are her responses:

1. How long have you been working with iXpress?
I have been painting at Aspire for over 10 years.

2. Why do you make art?
I make art because I enjoy being creative and working on something meaningful.

3. How do you feel when you're working?
When I work on my art I am very focused and it gives me a sense of purpose.

4. What would you change about iXpress if you could?
I wish we had the time, money and resources so that I could spend more time working on my art.

5. As an artist what is your more important message to get across to your audience?
I want people to see that I do good work.

If you have questions for our artists, feel free to leave them in a comment and we'll be sure to survey our artists. Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story explaining how Anna produces her pieces.

Janet

Anonymous said...

Anna I love this picture! Makes me think of my Uncle's house on Lake Huron, when the season is changeing! Beautiful work!